Thursday, August 28, 2008

A trip down Kelantan Lane......


It's been a long while since I last ate here. Don't find myself in this vicinity very often. But since I was, there wouldn't be any reason not to grab a bowl of that famous Sungei Road Laksa sans the "hum" (Blk 31 Kelantan Lane, #01-12 Seng Chuan Eating House, tel: 9690 8184) and refresh my memory of how it actually tasted. That sounded like a good decisions for the recent cool and rain that's been the weather these couple of days, slurping thick rice vermicelli with that laksa gravy and all. In retrospect, I also noticed that this laksa gravy doesn't quite compare to the richness and viscosity of the various (clones of) Katong Laksa that's popping up everywhere these days. More generous portion of bean sprouts would have made it better as well. The side of mackerel otah that the stall was also selling wasn't very special.


Since I was there taking advantage of the cooler weather and eating stuff that I tend to avoid in the usual heat, I thought why not a steaming bowl of that Sin Min Rd Bak Kut Teh as well from the neighbouring stall. The bai kut wasn't too cheap at $9, but I thought it was worth it while tearing the tender rib meat dipped in the chilli padi infused soy sauce off the bone. These are the moments I enjoy using my hands. Enjoyed this steaming peppery and garlicky broth that I asked for refills.

No comments: