Monday, April 06, 2020

Ponggol Nasi Lemak, Capitol Piazza

Ponggol Nasi Lemak, chicken wing set

Ponggol Nasi Lemak is a local institution. They have been around just before John Lennon passed on and like a number of other local brands from that era, have updated their business and branched out. From what I gather, they are still well received. Me? I've never tried their nasi lemak until now. This was from their new outlet at Capitol Piazza (B1-36/36A, 13 Stamford Road).

This is where I slip into retrospect. I liked it more than I thought I would. To disclaim, I didn't visit with high expectations. I liked that there was sufficient flavour in their rice. Texture wasn't brought down by excessive moisture or dryness. I thought their sambal struck a good balance of (onion-y?) sweet and savoury for me amidst the mild heat but your mileage may vary. Deep fried chicken wings were delicious. They must be a signature of theirs. Loved the savoury dry crisp on the shell without excessive residual grease.

I added hae bi hiam. Those were a little crisp, unlike the softer flossier renditions that are more common. Found their ikan bilis with sugar very agreeable and the peanuts were nicely toasted. I'd be happy to come back.

Ponggol Nasi Lemak

No comments: