Monday, April 13, 2020

SLATE., Purvis Street


Slate (#01-00, 24 Purvis Street, tel : +65 6261 1724). Food's okay. Cafe in the day time and from what I read, contemporary Asian restaurant in the evening. Which means plenty to plenty of people so I'm not going into that territory.


Their lemongrass lemonade drink was not bad, but kinda small for what they were charging.


Ordered their G&G sandwich because there was suppose to be Gammon ham and Gruyère and fried bread. It was open faced. I hadn't been expecting that. Liked the ham and pretty okay-ish truffle Gruyère sauce. It's one of those I don't mind eating if I'm here or in the vicinity but wouldn't come all the way here for it kind of thing. I did enjoy their salad on the side......


...salad that also came with their Side Way Omelette. Side ways because it's filled with crab and crabs walk sideways. So beside crab meat there was also smoked crab fat (obviously kani miso) and tobiko. It's okay, not outstanding. Omelette had a Asian style to it. 

Back to the salad. It's kinda like a mix between a generic mesclun + Thai mango/papaya salad. Minus fish sauce, heat and sugar. Also tasted nicer than how I described it. Yes, there were strips of mango  (or was that papaya) and fantastic crunchy textures. 


They have smoked fish fried rice on menu. It's edible. Wished there was more smoked fish and tobiko in it because those would have made up for the fact that it wasn't an incredible fried rice. I had initially thought that this might have been some sort of kedgeree but I guess not.

No comments: