Monday, September 07, 2020

Fishball noodles from Malaysia Chiak at Great World

Xi Dao Fishball Noodle, mee pok

This was from the Xi Dao Fishball Noodle stall at Malaysia Chiak. In retrospect, I was much more satisfied by their bowl than I thought I would be. Decent if not exceptional texture from the mee pok - but what made those noodles shine was their savoury piquant chilli sauce. Haven't had a flavour like that in a while.

Xi Dao Fishball Noodle, fishball

As the stall name implies, the fishballs are made with xi dao fish (秋刀魚) - also known as wolf herring. Nice flavour coming from the fish while the texture of the ball was firm without being artificially bouncy. Ditto for the sliced fish cakes.

Xi Dao Fishball Noodle, fish cake

Added a fried fish cake on the side. These have been fried and left out for a while so they were a little cold. Still tasty though. Sweet even. I'm glad that the skin hadn't hardened or become too chewy. While I rank the fish cake at Khin Kee a little higher, I'd take the noodles here over theirs.  

No comments: