Tuesday, May 20, 2008

From Tetsuya, with compliments....


Okay, I bought this jar of truffle salsa ($28) some time back from Culina and had fiddled with making food with them a couple of times. This turned out to be pretty versatile and tasty condiment for someone who doesn't really know how to cook. It simply just works. Lol.


The first attempt at using Tetsuya's Truffle Salsa was actually the flavoring for pasta. This was one of the weekend lunches I made at home with ham steak and Gordon Ramsay's scrambled egg recipe, sans the chives. You can check out the link to see how the eggs are done, so I'm not going to talk about them here. The pasta, which is cooked is simply just tossed with a couple of generous tea spoonfuls of the truffle salsa along with butter. That's all there is to it, honestly. Because there is just butter to oil the pasta, most of the taste will come from the salsa itself. That means, mostly truffle flavor. Safe and easy to make. Take it from a person who doesn't do real cooking. If I can, so can you.


Pizza is one of those stuff that I do at home when the sun is particularly discouraging to me from venturing out of the house. As some of you might already know, I tend to favor Dr Oetker's and have been experimenting with a bunch of add ons with their frozen pizza ranging from seven cheeses to strawberries and ham.

So this time round, I've decided to add the truffle salsa and see what I can come up with. Doing this at home, I was much more generous with the truffle than any other pizza place outside would. I got one of Dr Oetker's pizza - this time the mozzarella ones, and simply scrape some of the salsa over the top. After that, it's some grated parmesan and more mozzarella and an egg. and then, into the oven it goes. I kinda like how it turned out. This was definitely much more heady with truffle flavor than any other pizza that I've had outside.

3 comments:

MamaBoK said...

Yummy..!! i should try and get some too.. i've always wanted to cook with truffles.

celestephua said...

Dr Oekter's pizza is a great base to work on. I love to get the different anti-pasta for toppings. Love adding artichokes! =)

Nic (KHKL) said...

once, i tried mixing it with some unsalted butter, applied the mixture on slices of baguette and baked it for a minute or so. the result was an aromatic toast that rivalled the all time fave garlic bread! nice!