Monday, March 30, 2009

Alegro Spanish Street Food, Clark Quay


I was initially alerted of this place (3D River Valley Road, #01-13 Clarke Quay) from a Spanish fair at Isetan some time back when I purchased one of their borcadillo de Serrano and was handed a business card. I recalled being quite impressed with the sandwich down at the fair and decided to give this supposedly street food kiosk a try. I didn't expect to be underwhelmed by the selection of what they had to offer. Apart from the borcadillos with the jamon Serrano and chorizos, I was hard pressed to find something else of interest and had to settle for just that. In the end, the sandwich didn't taste as good as I remembered it from the fair and came across as rather pricey for a sandwich with what, 3 thin slices of chorizo and some tomatoes? The subtleties of their flavours was mostly lost on me tonight. Even the churros didn't quite feel like the other time.

I doubt I'll ever return if that's all there is and I'm pretty sure this is a poor showcase, if any, of Spanish street food. By that, I refer to both the variety and the quality. I can always get fried calamari and french fries elsewhere.

2 comments:

*Harris said...

Heya, been reading your blog for quite a while now, great reviews! =)

Just a suggestion: Perhaps you would like to add the prices to some of the food?

Keep eating, keep blogging!

LiquidShaDow said...

Hey Harris,

The sandwiches were $7.50 each and the churros were $4 and a buck more for the chocolate dip.