Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Hippopotamus Restaurant Grill, Marina Square


I was skeptical at first. Hippopotamus (6 Raffles Boulevard, #01-204/205 Marina Square, tel : +65 6338 5352) sounded neither the likes of a restaurant nor French nor both. Apparently though, these guys are a Parisian family styled restaurant that's been around for almost half a century. 

Food was pretty decent. I was also sold by their XL rib eye which was large, very juicy and quite bloody. Granted that there're no special premium cuts from pedigreed bovines with exceptional marbling here, it was still a good hunk of meat. Glad that I picked a medium doneness over my regular medium rare which might have been a tad undercooked for my preferences. Portions were definitely generous (it might have been 340g) and I enjoyed the sides. One of the gems in this restaurant was a their blue cheese sauce! Yay for that blue cheese sauce because I know there's a dreary lack of even decent ones around. I'm definitely coming back for the steaks and perhaps the burgers.

french onion soup
The French onion soup was passable. Love the toasted cheese, but the flavour lacked body.

300g bone marrow
We were served a pretty large bone marrow - costing also much less than what most restaurants would charge for it. But I suspect this was frozen and not thawed nor baked well as the marrow wasn't as quivery as it should have been. Certain parts were almost as hard as warm wax. Eek!

squid fries
These not so chewy squid fries were also passable. Probably good as drinking bites. It got boring after a couple of them.

No comments: