Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Hot mentai cream soba from Nadai Fujisoba Ni-Hachi


This was the “soup” version of the mentai soba from Nadai Fujisoba Ni-Hachi. Previously we had the mazesoba which was the “dry” bowl. This broth was initially slightly viscous and I’m venturing a guess that it’s actually mentaiko cream mixed in their regular soba broth rather than just mentaiko cream alone. Not like what I had imagined. Halfway through the bowl, that little viscosity was gone.

I’m liking how they did the mentai broth for this because it wasn’t overly rich and at the same time, it was sufficiently flavourful of the roe. I liked it enough to slurp up till almost the last drop. The only comparison I would make of this to the mazesoba bowl was that this broth wouldn’t really bring much flavour to the soba because of the mentioned lack of viscosity (hence no hold onto noodles) as opposed to the latter where the noodles were full of mentaiko flavour.

I can see that both were meant to be approached differently and I couldn’t say which one I preferred more. Perhaps the one with broth for those cold days and the mazesoba for regular ones.

No comments: