Monday, May 22, 2023

Even more food from Pastaria Abate

Pastaria Abate, Neil Road

We're back at Pastaria Abate sooner than I thought. In my not so humble opinion, them opening a little later than most definitely helped keep them an option especially when we needed to get dinner past the usual hours.

Pastaria Abate, portobello fries

We were recommended their portobello fries. I knew what they were, just haven't had them before. These were really good. I think part of the trick was a nice flavour to the crisp batter that wasn't excessively crunchy. Mushroom wasn't dripping with juices and that was a good thing.

Pastaria Abate, truffle carbonara

Tried their truffle carbonara. It's a little wetter than I imagined. Their rendition uses pancetta affumicata which is in English, bacon 😂. What I thought to be worth mentioning was the truffle. It's from the truffle salsa they usually use so the flavour is more similar to how truffle might taste (can also be read as gentler) as opposed to the oil which is usually more in your face.

Pastaria Abate, spinach ravioli blue cheese

The restaurant recommended their spinach ravioli with blue cheese the last time we were here and we couldn't because we couldn't fit more food into our stomach. So we came back for them and hell yeah it was good. Tasted very homely and I meant that in a good way. Without that cheesy sauce and blue cheese stuffings, I could actually taste some of that spinach in the pasta. Pretty sure I did not imagine that.

Pastaria Abate, cioppino

Cioppino. Just found out that these things are American Italian and not Italian. This one has no fish. Noticed that their broth has an underlying flavour from mollusks, rather than crustaceans which I was expecting. There's cephalopods, clams, mussels and some prawns. Not bad but I was hoping for more punch from the seafood. Not sure what's the stuff slathered on top of the bread...tasted like garlic mayo?

Pastaria Abate, tiramisu

Our tiramisu came with a splash of Baileys tonight. 😬 Other than that, I think it tasted pretty much like how it did the last time we had it.

Pastaria Abate, himalayan salt latte

Himalayan salt latte. Today's brew was a little saltier than the last.

Pastaria Abate, Neil Road

No comments: