Friday, July 21, 2023

Western Mahua (西部马华), Holland Village

Western Mahua (西部马华), Holland Village

I first noticed Western Mahua some time back. It was their stall at PLQ. I remember not seeing lamb on the menu but I'm also not sure if I remembered that correctly. Anyways, my interest wasn't there because it's Northwestern Chinese food and any respectable eatery doing that kind of food in my opinion needs to have lamb. Noticed that there was lamb on the menu at their branch in Holland Village (245 Holland Avenue).

Western Mahua (西部马华), apricot tea

Dunhuang Li Guang apricot tea. Not bad tasting but I wouldn't be able tell it apart from regular apricot tea.

Western Mahua (西部马华), lanzhou pickled cabbage

I think this was called Lanzhou pickled cabbage. Savoury and a little sour with spices and chilli.

Western Mahua (西部马华), sauteed cabbage crispy naan

We had stir fried cabbage with crispy naan. Those naan are really crispy. They were more like crackers than bread. This plate of vegetable was not bad tasting.

Western Mahua (西部马华), lamb ribs

We ordered grilled lamb thinking that we'd be getting sometime similar to the ones from Manchurian Lamb Hot Pot. These weren't bad but were also not as good as we were hoping for. Ribs need more browning and a bit more flavour from the dry rub would be nice. It also did not taste freshly grilled. I am pretty sure these were prepared in advanced and heated up. 

Don't know why they bothered with the pretence of a grill platter which was visually supported by a tealight below. I mean...what was that suppose to achieve?

Western Mahua (西部马华), arabic fried rice

Arabian fried rice. There's a choice between minced chicken or beef. This one was beef. The spices in the rice tasted Middle Eastern but I haven't actually had rice from Middle Eastern restaurants that tasted like this. Not bad though. Those cubes on top are the same crispy naan thingies which I believe is similar to the 馍 in yang rou pao mo.

Western Mahua (西部马华), grilled potato

Grilled potato slices were delicious. Why haven't I paid attention to these before?

Western Mahua (西部马华), grilled lamb

Yang rou chuan (羊肉串) was chunky, moist and nicely spiced. Pretty decent but a little pricey.

Western Mahua (西部马华), yoghurt

We ended it with yoghurt and honey. The yoghurt was already sweetened and did not need the honey. The ones from Happy Lamb Hot Pot (快乐小羊) are nicer. 

Western Mahua (西部马华), Holland Village

No comments: