Learned of Ayam Gepok Anakmak (#01-877, 215 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1, Ang Mo Kio Street 22) recently and came to try their ayam gepok. What got my attention was the gaju (cashew) sauce which I haven't been seeing around here.
There're a couple of options. One can get it with regular fried chicken and or ayam berempah. This one's the latter.
Sadly their ayam berempah was lacklustre. The meat was dry-ish and a little stringy even. Remember that this was chicken thigh. The flavour of the berempah wasn't particularly great. Rice was lumpy. Aside from tofu and tempeh, there's also fried cabbage on the side which I haven't had before. Tasted toasty and bittersweet.
Like I said, I came for the gajus sauce which is accompanied by sambal. One can choose level 0-4 for spiciness with 0 being not spicy at all. This was a 2. And it packed substantial heat. The sauce was akin to a coarse cashew butter - nutty and oily in a good way. It's pretty good with the sambal because the sambal has the salt. Any spicier and I probably wouldn't have been able to taste much of the food.





No comments:
Post a Comment