I remember eating at Dulukala many years ago at Beauty World. They've since moved out to a stall in a coffee shop at Silat Avenue (Kopi Haus, 148 Silat Avenue) near to the old Cantonment Railway Station.
Got ourselves the ayam buah keluak and the beef rendang sets. Each set is accompanied with chap chye and rice.
Sauce from the chicken was savoury and the rendang sweet & spicy. Just to be clear, there's a load of spices in the rendang but it has little heat. Beef was relatively tender. Chap chye was tender and packed with flavour.
One has to top up for the actual buah keluak as the chicken doesn't come with any. $2 a piece. We also asked if one could just get buah keluak without ordering the chicken. I wished it was otherwise but 不可以. 😏
Black gold scraped from the insides of the nut. These have a flavour which is somewhat like caramelized fermented black beans. Texture's like a little gritty dryish paste. I also seem to detect a subtle sweetness through the flavour density. It's complex.
Some stir fried lady's finger with ikan bilis. These weren't slimy if anyone was wondering. One could taste the smokiness from the charred vegetable with some sweetness from onions and umami from those ikan bilis. Nice.
Sambal on the side with manageable heat.
Every dish was a rice thief. The buah keluak and sambal alone wiped out most what I had on my plate.
Sadly their chendol was unimpressive. The coconut milk lacked richness and the dessert felt diluted.









No comments:
Post a Comment