Saturday, March 08, 2008

Simply Bread, Robertson Quay


This is one of the rare occasions that I get up early in the weekends to actually go out for breakfast. I've been telling myself on countless occassions that I should be doing this more often since getting up and out early means that I actually have more time of the day to be doing something. And every time that I do so, the day does feels longer. However, the reason that it doesn't happen often is because while most of the time the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak.

Simply Bread (60 robertson quay, #01-15 the quayside, tel : 6732 2966) makes a very nice location for breakfast. There are several reasons for me saying this. Firstly, you get al fresco with the shade. It's tends not overly crowded despite the fact that there are quite a bit of people that head down in the morning for their first meal of the day. The open seating areas do not feel cluttered and there are newspapers and magazines which one can borrow from the confectionery to accompany the breakfast, allowing for a leisurely meal with reading to be enjoyed with your coffee. The selection for breakfast is ample as well and prices aren't unkind to the wallet. All of it along a laid back glorified canal riverside.

There were a few things that I've had among the varied selection that I thought were pretty good. The roast beef sandwich ($6), amongst a selection of quite a few different sandwiches that are available would be something that I think is quite a delectable choice. It's getting a simple sandwich correct in it's simplicity which this place does and many places fail miserably at. That means filling up a roast beef sandwich with beef instead of padding them with other unwanted things. Here, they do not sting and as you can see, there's only tomatoes and mustard that's in the sandwich. There is also a choice from a variety of bread to be used for your sandwich.


The ham steak with eggs breakfast plate arrived quite the regular looking platter with two eggs and a couple of slices of toasts. These thicker slices of honey baked ham are actually quite tasty. I don't remember the last time I tasted the honey in honey baked ham. There is a choice for how you want the eggs to be done. There is also a sticky bun ($1.20) which is essentially a cinnamon caramel coated bun which tasted a lot better than it looked or sounded. The only gripe I had was the coffee which despite having the benefit of an additional shot of espresso, didn't quite pack the oomph that I was hoping to kickstart my morning heart.

2 comments:

ladyironchef said...

nice! how much the total meal cost?
Haven had brunch at a great place for very long already

LiquidShaDow said...

Hey ladyironchef,
It was about $31 for two persons.