Saturday, May 24, 2008

Of hot vanilla, smoked egg and star anise...


Despite having visited Lai Lai for a few occasions already, I've never really noticed that they actually have rou cuo fan (minced meat with rice) because I've always been caught up with their beef noodles and lu rou fan. And of course their delicious braised pig intestines which I haven't been able to find elsewhere. In comparison with the lu rou fan, this one didn't work out quite as well for me because of the star anise flavor. I'm not saying that it wasn't good, but I would prefer it if the spice didn't taste quite as strong. So if I'm ever having this again, I guess Peng Lai Ge would be the better option.

There're a couple of other things that we've picked which I've never tried before from here. One's a rather tasty smoked egg which to my surprise, arrived chilled. I'm taking this in a good way and I thought it was quite good despite it not being very smoky tasting at all. I'm quite sure that one of the contributing factors to my positive reaction to it was the runny yolk. The other thing was a warm vanilla drink which I found to be a little too sweet. It appeared like a rather nice steamed milk foam. It might have been pretty good if it was served hot and a lot less sweet.

No comments: