Thursday, August 09, 2007

Mustard, 32 Race Course Road

Mustard, Race Course Road
Mustard, Race Course RoadThis was a good find. I first found out about Mustard some months back while I was lunching in the vicinity. Told myself that I'll be back to see what this place was about and though it was a few months, I'm glad it happened. Mustard specializes in Bengali and Punjabi cuisine. The differences between the two types of regional foods are highlight in their menu using colour codes. The interior of the restaurant reminded me more than a little of Banoo.

Kolkatta Kathi Kebab Rolls

These kebab rolls which were served piping hot were pretty good. They were found under the "trailblazers" section of the menu which presumably are the starters. The rolls were stuffed with meat, onions, crunchy green peppers and a tasty pepper sauce. Made excellent snacks. There were also other options for fillings like mutton, chicken with eggs or even cheese. One could just eat a couple of these things and be filled.

Kolkatta Shingara

pyramid asunder

The kolkatta shingara was a delicious non-spicy pyramid shaped vegetable puff. The insides were filled with cauliflowers, potatoes and peanuts. Texture of the puff was bolstered because of the peanuts which provided quite a bit of crunch. They were however a little bland, but it seemed that quite a few of the dishes here were served with little salt. Like the kebab rolls, these puffs were filling.

palek paneer

These palek paneer (cottage cheese in puree-ed spinach) wasn't so good for me because of the bits of ginger. It's the first time I've encountered ginger in them. It was otherwise like the regular variety.

Kosha Mangsho (mutton masala)

mutton bryani


Bryani here was a little different from what we were used to. There was hardly any salt. There appeared to be very little little oil in the rice and what we could mostly taste were the spices that were used to cook the dish. The serving was large enough to feed two and came with a generous portion of tender mutton and some potatoes. I could eat this again if I ever come back here. What I liked about the briyani was also the accompanying yoghurt on the side which was good with the rice.

cheese naan

Their cheese naans here aren't so special. You might have guessed that they're probably not cheesy enough. Still they were served hot and freshly made.

Chingri Maacher Malai Curry

This coconut curry with shrimps was apparently a signature dish from the restaurant and it was delicious. The curry looked liked oatmeal instead of the usual spicy hues. The flavour was intense with coconut and spices. It tasted quite rich but was not quite as spicy as what I normally expect of curries. The was meat in the fruit which could scraped out. I suppose that was an assurance that the fruit as a bowl wasn't recycled. The shrimps looked to have been cooked in the curry for some time and texture was stiff. In spite of that, I think I would recommend this.

Rossomalai

The rossomlai was cottage cheese in some sweet milk. I detected ginger in the milk and that wasn't something that I was expecting. The texture of the cottage cheese was like a wet dense bread. 

No comments: