Sunday, January 28, 2024

Myung Ga (맛집) ll, Tanjong Pagar

Myung Ga (맛집) ll, Tanjong Pagar

I was initially pretty excited after learning that Myung Ga II had opened an outpost at Tanjong Pagar (28 Tanjong Pagar Road, tel : +65 8042 8025). I was thinking that it meant that I needn't make a trip down to Bukit Timah Plaza anymore. But maybe that might not be true......

Myung Ga (맛집) ll, banchan

Banchan's not fantastic. Selection was the same as the one as their shop at Bukit Timah so I guess they never change. Kimchi's kinda young - I like them more mature. 😏 Bean sprouts were so lightly blanched that it still had that raw-ish vegetal taste. Not exactly dishes on the side to look forward to.

Myung Ga (맛집) ll, al tang

Enjoyed their al tang. Generous portions of fish roe and milt in a moreishly spicy and fishy broth.

Myung Ga (맛집) ll, deulkkae kalguksu

What I was looking forward to was their deulkkae kalguksu - a noodle made with a broth that contained ground perilla seeds. Other than the light savoury taste, there was an earthiness that reminded me of oats and texture that reminded me of the mushroom udon from Tracy's Juice Culture. Not a combination that I think I'd seek out but now that I've had it, I found unexpectedly addictive.

Myung Ga (맛집) ll, haemul pajeon

Haemul pajeon - not a bad tasting pancake but I was hoping that it'd be a little less doughy. For some reason, the first thing I thought of while eating it was the one from Bigmama because that one had more aromatic crisp. Strangely, when I asked about adding cheese, the server advised me against it because he felt that it was too expensive. Hmmm....

Myung Ga (맛집) ll, jjajangmyeon

I wouldn't recommend their jjajangmyeon. The recent ones we've had from Wonderful Bapsang and O.BBa Jjajang have kinda set the bar for us so this one falls short on the flavour. It was so lightweight it was on the verge of being bland.


It's obvious that this was an outpost with a trimmed down menu. There's a bunch of stuff which we were pretty sure we remembered seeing from the OG shop that isn't available here. Gonna have to make that trip back to Bukit Timah Plaza again after all.

No comments: