Wednesday, October 25, 2023

O.BBa Jjajang, Tanjong Pagar Road

O.BBa Jjajang, Tanjong Pagar Road

The main reason why we were here at O.BBa Jjajang (77 Tanjong Pagar Road, tel : +65 6221 8254) today was primarily because of jjajangmyeon which I had kinda opened up to recently. Also a good opportunity to get some K-grub along this K-stretch. 

O.BBa Jjajang, banchan

Banchan's not bad. Very decent kimchi which we got thirds of and I love that mashed sweet potato thingy. Think that was made with sweet and regular potatoes. We got that refilled like 5 times.

O.BBa Jjajang, pickled szechuan mustard greens

I believe this was Sichuan preserved mustard green (四川菜) and onions. I kinda like this too.

O.BBa Jjajang, tangsuyuk

Some of the pieces of meat from their tangsuyuk were relatively tender and some were tough. Those crispy noodles were nice though - they've a toasty flavour like the local crispy noodle (生面). While I gather that there are lots of references made with this dish to Chinese sweet and sour pork, they don't taste the same. Something about the sour/tanginess that's different.

O.BBa Jjajang, tangsuyuk sauce

That being said, the sweet and sour sauce was enjoyable. Did not expect it to be served in a Pyrex measuring cup though.

O.BBa Jjajang, kimchi jeon

Kimchi jeon with cheese. The non-cheesed edges were nice and crisp while the middle with cheese was....cheesy. Hah! This was the first time I've had a kimchi pancake where I could taste the squids inside so that's nice. It's a little greasy but not unenjoyable. 

O.BBa Jjajang, truffle jjajangmyeon

We ordered the jjajangmyeon with truffle. That's a lump of truffle salsa on top.

O.BBa Jjajang, truffle jjajangmyeon

It's actually not bad. The sauce reminded me of the dark soya sauce in tau you bak. With truffle flavour. My cautious optimism grows.

O.BBa Jjajang, mandu

Mandus...tasted like the frozen ones from the supermarket. Not a bad eat but I don't think I'll get them again.

O.BBa Jjajang, Tanjong Pagar Road

No comments: