Saturday, October 21, 2006

Astons Specialties, East Coast Road


This dinner down at Astons is actually organized by fatpig of Timeless Facade. It is also actually a first opportunity for me to attach faces to some names that I have been making various forms of correspondences to. Included in tonights first run to Aston, are also a very lovely trio of ladies from CozyCot. I think on the overall, this establishment was a mixture of hits and misses. Read on....

Astons is located along a row of shop houses at Katong area and the address states East Coast Road. It's actually somewhere across the street where Roxy Square is if you know where. We arrived approximately 5-10 minutes before the reservation which fatpig made at 8p.m.. This is the first disappointing miss that was Astons. Apparently, no one recorded the reservations. And that was the scene at our arrival.


The first hit which followed quickly by the first miss was that we were addressed appropriately for the inadequacy of failing to record the reservations very quickly by the busy but friendly counter staff. We managed to get the next availability of tables after about 20 minutes of wait. Which I thought was a really nice job instead of putting the reservation into denial and making us wait with the queue. I'm sure I probably would have left if they did, but I guess they were really nice and serious about their business.

The interior of Astons is pleasantly decorated in warmish shades. The seating space looks approximated abt about 50-60 people. With the entrance being wide open, the whole place was ventilated with just a couple of ceiling fans and 2 air conditioners which makes it a really warm wait for anyone. Not exactly the best of places for making conversations unless you're comfortable with humidity and heat. Would have been great if there was better air conditioning. Really.

The menu is available at the counter of the entrance. That is also the place which orders are made. The counter guy was kind enough to oblige taking our orders for 8 at our table which I think is a small but differentiating gesture of service which I noted. On the right is the menu of Astons. I wasn't really sure what to make out of it because there were no pictures and it really makes you guess at what you're ordering. Junie mentioned something along the lines of that also taking away the option for us to rant if the food didn't arrive the way it looks if there were photos. Lol. Anyway, I wasn't really captivated by the relatively mundane offerings except for the Burgundy Roast Beef which I've heard mentioned. The main objective for the majority of our group tonight was Astons Wagyu Beef which we were hoping that they didn't run out of. Fortunately, we managed to make our orders of 5 steaks.

Astons serves also IBC Root Beers which we ordered in a 6 pack. I've never seen them before, but then again I'm not really a soda person. I've heard some comments that it's pretty good. But it tasted pretty much like regular root beer to me. But it was good for this dinner in the sense that the heat in the place was a few notches away from sweltering in a warm evening and I finished most of my drinks before the steak arrived.

IBC has an interesting bottle which features emboss onto the dark glass instead of sticker or paper wraps around. You can see from the right that the labels are not prominent at all. But having noticed the almost invisible markings on the bottle actually made me scrutinise the contents more than I would do bottle drinks than usual. And I couldn't really make out what was on it apart from the name of the root beer. Lol. So much for the reversal of psychology.


And these are the actual highlights of the dinner for tonight. Astons Wagyu steaks weighing at 200g I think. The pictures are just two out of the 5 orders made, but I think it distincted some inconsistency in the cooking. The second was slightly more charred on the surface while the first basked in the health of pink juiciness. We were served the steaks at different times with the last 2 portions arriving when everyone else had almost finished their dinner. I'm not exactly elated about being put through lengthy waits.

I'll make a summary out of the Wagyu steak here. Each order comes with a small selection of 2 sides. The steak comes with a mushroom sauce that beyond being too saltish, was relatively unexciting. I did think that it was a little costly for the portions, but let's let the weight versus price portion slide. The overall of this oily, fatty, flavored piece of steak is that it is noticeably better than steak in more than half the places in this country. I mean it, apart from the pricey restaurants and Japanese places and whathaveyous, you're not likely to get Wagyu in the first place. And Wagyu steak that is flavoured and aromatic with each juicy bite? I like it. Though I think it a tad too small for my appetite, I gotta give it credit for something tasty. Even though we're not getting the best of grade Wagyu at this point, I'm not sure if anyone else actually offers something similar for this price point at $38.90. This is steak which you can savour in every mouthful until the end. Back to the size I just wished that it was bigger and because of that, I think a Hog's Breath prime rib upsized would cost just a few dollars more and be more satisfying for those of you who have bigger appetites. The flavour would admittedly be different, but the result is greater contentment.


And that's the SuperShiok burger. It looked fat and juicy, laced with barbecue sauce of some sorts, generous cheese toppings and the TL. But at $12.50, one wouldn't expect less. Given the cost and the content of the fillings, I would say that it's almost on competitive par with überburger's sirloin burger (sans service charge and tax). I only managed to get a morsel, which tasted okay to me. Patty's a little too dry. But I don't think I'll be making the effort to come down just for this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi liquidshadow, i like your frank style of blogging, can see you like steaks, go check out azhang at mohamed sultan road for their lamb and beef.

keep the comments coming

wei lin said...

sorry missed out my name.

LiquidShaDow said...

Hi wei lin, thanks for visiting and the comments. I have heard abt Azhang quite some time back from Makansutra. Have been wondering about the place. I probably will be heading down one day when I round up the foodie regulars for a nice dinner there.

Anonymous said...

looks like the advertisement not only hogged makansutra. does it goes around all the other blogs? surely azhang had employed a very hardworking public relation.