Sunday, October 22, 2006

Pontian Wanton Noodles, Yishun 81

One of the wanton noodles stall which had something to say about what's special about their brand of noodles. Pontian is located at the Yishun 81 coffeeshop at the Central, about 5 minutes walk from the bus interchange. Having not seen this particular stall before, I decided to give it a try.

I don't know if any of that 60 years of history had any real bearings on things. Or for that matter, if anyone in the past 60 years have been eating there and liking the food. The front of the stall is patched with signs with the usual claims of having noodles that are handmade and blah blah blah..... I ordered a bowl with a serving of 14 fried wantons.


The wanton noodles come in two sizes. A serving of the fried wanton goes for $2.50. So for 5 bucks I managed to get the following one of each.


The basic $2.50 bowl of noodles came with 2 fried and 2 soup wontons. The portions weren't very large. But decidedly, it was quite good. There was definitely something different about the noodles that gave it better texture. Didn't leave a residual after taste which I personally dislike about yellow noodles in general. The noodles also comes with the option of chilli sauce (which isn't really very spicy at all) and a bowl of soup containing the another 2 soup wontons. The mixed sauce gave the noodles a spicy tomato flavour which didn't quite taste like the usual ones. I don't know why's that. I had meant that positively.


Those were the fried wanton. These wantons though small, were very tasty. The fried skins are light and crispy. Not what I had expected. I had thought them to be hard shelled and oily. They were really easy to eat and a serving of 14 wantons can easily be finished by one. Despite appearances, it tasted freshly fried. I will be back for this again.

No comments: