Sunday, October 22, 2006

Pontian Wanton Noodles, Yishun 81

One of the wanton noodles store which has something to say about what's special about their brand of noodles and how different it is. Pontian is located at the Yishun 81 coffeeshop at the Central, about 5 minutes walk from the bus interchange. Having not seen this particular stall before, I decided go give it a try.

I don't know if any of that 60 years of history has any real bearings on things. Or for that matter, if anyone in the past 60 years have been eating there and liking the food. The front of the stall is patched with signs with the usual claims of having noodles that are handmade and blah blah blah..... I ordered a bowl with a serving of 14 fried wantons.


The wanton noodles come in two sizes. A serving of the fried wanton goes for $2.50. So for 5 bucks I managed to get the following one of each.


The basic $2.50 bowl of noodles comes with 2 fried and 2 soup wontons. The portions are actually not very large. But decidedly, it was quite good. There was definitely something different about the noodles that made it taste better in texture and leaving no residual after taste which I personally really dislike about yellow noodles in general. The bowl of noodles also comes with the option of chilli sauce (which isn't really very spicy at all) and a bowl of soup containing the another 2 soup wontons. The mixed sauce gives the noodles a spicy tomato flavor which didn't quite taste like the usual ones. I don't know why's that. And I meant that positively.

That's the serving of fried wanton. Surprisingly, these wantons though small are very tasty. The fried skins are light and crispy which was not what I had expected at all. I had thought them to be hard shelled and oily. They were really easy to down and a serving of 14 wantons can easily be finished by a single person. And despite appearances, it does have a taste of being freshly made. I will be back for this again if I do return.

No comments: