Monday, October 03, 2016

The nameless Beo Crescent Hainanese Curry Rice

Beo Crescent Hainanese Curry Rice

This nondescript front in the old coffee shop (40 Beo Crescent) has its reputation defined by the snaking queue that stems from the stall front. If not for that queue, I would have walked past without realising that they were there. I haven't any idea if there had been any point in my life where I might have eaten anything from them but I'm going to have to go with this being my first time.

The stall goes by Beo Crescent Curry Rice or No Name Hainanese Curry Rice because it doesn't have any names or signage.

Beo Crescent Hainanese Curry Rice, pork chop

I was recommended by a friend to try their crispy pork. A lot of stalls does this. Most of them aren't very good. Coupled with the fact that I grew up eating meatier pork chops from these Hainanese Curry rice stalls like those from Loo's, I had never thought much of these crispy types which were more crust than actual pig. But these here were unexpectedly tasty. There was a particular fragrance to the crisp and it was actually crispy rather than soggy.

Beo Crescent Hainanese Curry Rice, prawn fritters

There were prawn fritters which were also kinda nice. It tasted like it has that old school biscuit crumb batter.

Beo Crescent Hainanese Curry Rice, tau kwa

Tau kwa was pretty nice too. They reminded me of cooked food from a couple of decades ago. A brand of flavour that many stalls today are unable to replicate for some reasons.

Beo Crescent Hainanese Curry Rice

Here's the curry rice that people come for. I'm having it with stewed cabbage and a fried egg on top. Awesome comfort food. The sauce that is ladled over the rice is a mixture of a couple of sauces that they have plus curry. Coupled with the sweetness from the stewed cabbage and the dark soy sauce on the fried egg, it's a party of flavours. Even better if you're lucky with the egg and get one with molten yolk. 

This stuff is actually much better than most other Hainanese Curry stalls I've tried. I do mean most. I'm definitely coming back again. 

No comments: