Friday, January 15, 2010

Putu piring...

Haig Road putu piring
It's been a long while since I've had these. The taste rekindled memories of childhood when my parents used to buy them from this stall at Haig Road. The only thing that I could detect that has changed with these airy steamed flour cakes was that the flour shells today are rather skimpy, making the size of the putu piring smaller than I remembered them. Fortunately, the molten fillings of gula melaka (palm sugar) inside were still plentiful. This however made them difficult to pick up by hand since they simply fell apart from the weight of the fillings. Not that eating the freshly steamed ones by hands are a good idea in the first place.

Very tasty with those slightly chilled shredded coconut that came with each packet.

1 comment:

red fir said...

OH MAN! My absolutely favorite. Period.