Tuesday, September 05, 2017

db Bistro & Oyster Bar, Marina Bay Sands

db Bistro & Oyster Bar, Marina Bay Sands

db Bistro (#B1-48, The Shoppes at Marina Bay, 2 Bayfront Avenue, tel : +65 6688 8525), eponymously abbreviated after Daniel Boulud has been in MBS since about 2011. The restaurant was previously called db Bistro Moderne but has been renamed to db Bistro & Oyster Bar because they now have a...*Mike Portnoy drumroll*......an oyster bar. American influenced French bistro food they say.

db Bistro & Oyster Bar, bread

Bread was baguette with a heavy rosemary and olive focaccia.

db Bistro & Oyster Bar, salad

Chopped salad was delicious with macadamia nuts, roasted beets and apples. The pungent goat cheese brought it all together with its creaminess.

db Bistro & Oyster Bar, steak tartare

We had a steak tartare of USDS prime sirloin which the restaurant prepared at tableside. We could indicate how spicy we wanted it but we went with the mid range just to see how it was like. In retrospect, I thought I wouldn't mind trying something that was more spicy. Not that this was bad. On the contrary, this was quite nice. But I couldn't help but to feel that the flavours were a little muted than what I was expecting in comparison with say something from Le Bistrot du Sommelier or La Cabane

db Bistro & Oyster Bar, sea bass

This was a Mediterranean sea bass, a la plancha I think with variations of cauliflower - pickled and roasted, raw and puréed . One of the variation was in fact broccoli. Lol. The fish was nicely done with the prerequisite crisp skin along with tender yet firm flesh. Not that I had expected anything less for what they were charging. What I really liked though was the caper and raisin salsa thingy that they had on top of the fish. It was a new sweet and sour flavour profile that I haven't had before and I thought it was great. I'd come back just for this

No comments: