Monday, January 23, 2023

Pepper Castle, Holland Village

Pepper Castle, Holland Village

Previously I had always assumed that Pepper Castle (33 Lorong Liput, tel : +65 9352 7742) was a typical regular sized stall in a coffee shop with a menu limited to.......well, what one could prepare in regular sized stalls. Until I stumbled upon their extensive menu on Grab delivery. We came down today and I realized that they did have a much bigger kitchen out in the back.

Pepper Castle, papadum

Pappadum. The accompanying lime/coriander dip tasted fresher than what I'm used to. Too coriander-y for me this one.

Pepper Castle, sweet lassi

Sweet lassi was creamy and sweet.

Pepper Castle, kashmiri naan

These were one of the better Kashmiri naan I recall having. Apart from the cherries, these were also stuffed with chopped bits of nuts and I tasted something I'm pretty sure were dates. 

Pepper Castle, dal palak

We had a dal palak - a savoury spinach and lentil curry. Not bad.

Pepper Castle, paneer kali mirch

This paneer kali mirch was a first for me. The rich creamy gravy was savoury instead of what I had initially assumed to be sweet. Not as peppery as the menu led me to believe.

Pepper Castle, egg briyani

Egg briyani was not bad. The spices in the rice were delicious but I wished it had a bit more salt.

Pepper Castle, saag chicken

Saag chicken - also another first. I've had the mutton version of this dish a previously. The palak from the previous times were puréed but Pepper Castle's rendition was chopped. I like the flavours though. Buried in the chopped spinach were chunks of chicken thigh meat.  

No comments: