Friday, June 28, 2024

The La Nonna pizza, scallop saffron risotto, misinterpreted bruschetta and mullings....from La Nonna

La Nonna, Holland Village

I've sometimes wondered what kept La Nonna in business all these years. Maybe it's their loyal customers. The food is passable. They're not bad tasting per se mostly but it also mostly wasn't memorable. 'Mostly' because I remember their squid ink and cinq formaggi pizzas with some fondness. The rest of the stuff I've had from before were things I didn't even deem worthy of a picture. Not to mention that service from their more veteran staff sometimes feels like attitude coming from somebody's crabby la nonna - 🤔..., maybe that's the reason why the name of the restaurant.💡 

La Nonna, bruschetta

I didn't think it was incorrect to interpret that their bruschetta would have a combined topping of what was described in the menu. Tomatoes, sautéed porcini, goat cheese and truffle paste.

La Nonna, bruschetta

This was what they served. Not that any of them was bad tasting but it was way more bread-y than I was expecting. Would not have gotten this if we had known.

La Nonna, la nonna pizza parma ham

That's the La Nonna pizza - their signature pizza. Topped it up with Parma ham. Not bad but I think this was one of those times when I found the truffle paste tiring. It's that one element that didn't age well.

La Nonna, saffron risotto scallops

The saffron risotto with scallops was delicious. Nice stock umami with cheesiness in rice that had the saffron flavour I was looking forward to. Love the browning on the scallops and those fish eggs on top. This I don't mind coming back for.

La Nonna, Holland Village
La Nonna, Holland Village

 

No comments: