Thursday, May 01, 2008

Little pig little pig let me in...


This was actually just a little side trip back to Mimigar for small bites and desserts. Apparently I have become quite fond of this orange hue saturated place that plays quirky and sometimes folksy (and sometimes also, strange & harmoniously discordant) Japanese music. The menu has changed a little from the last time I visited but I noticed that they no longer place the otoshi (which they charge $10 per person for) on the table. I guess they must have gotten feedback that it's either too costly or that no one really likes them.



I decided to check out a couple of the cocktail beers which they did not have on their menu previously. Those turned out to be a more delicious than I had expected. The sikuwasa which was actually draft Tiger beer mixed with what is described as Okinawan kalamansi juice turned out to be invigoratingly zesty a drink. There was enough of the kalamansi juice in there that the lime-ish flavour was actually predominant. This was actually addictively pleasing. The glass actually emptied itself before I knew it. The other cocktail beer from the same origins came mixed with tomato juice. This didn't turn out weird in any way at all and the taste was like a mildly carbonated gazpacho of sorts.  I think I might have found new drinks to like.


I mentioned small bites back at the top there so here's the rafute (fatty braised pork belly) and the umi budou (sea grapes) which I enjoyed.


The department of desserts has seen some changes as well. There was a rather enjoyable macha baravoi which isn't on the menu anymore, but we got a brown sugar mousse and red sweet potato ice cream. The brown sugar mousse which was smothered in a blanket of powdered peanut. The brown sugar flavour was quite....subtle. I had thought it to be some peanut mousse if not for the name. There wasn't too much that could be said for the ice cream which tasted slightly butter-y and milky, but then again. Not so much sweet potato flavour in there.

1 comment:

ah Teo said...

"Not by the hair of my chinny, chin chin..."