Monday, May 02, 2022

Re-revisiting The Hainan Story Chapter One

The Hainan Story Chapter One, Jalan Sultan

Here's us back at The Hainan Story Chapter One.

The Hainan Story Chapter One, rojak peanut jam butter buns

I remembered that "rojak peanut jam" toast from the last visit so I asked them for one minus the gula melaka kaya plus butter. Nice. Will probably not find a sweet fermented prawn paste with butter sandwich like this anywhere else in the world.

The Hainan Story Chapter One, fried pork

Munched on fried pork belly while waiting for the orders to arrive.

The Hainan Story Chapter One, newspaper curry rice

Curry rice's not bad. Need to ask for extra curry and their unusually smooth sambal belachan which will make inhaling this entire plate a breeze. The latter wasn't as spicy as I would have preferred but it still had sufficient fermented shrimp flavour to pack a punch. Here's where I remind myself to not get this rice set with braised pork the next time. The rest of the stuff on the plate was pretty good eating.

The Hainan Story Chapter One, hainanese lamb stew crispy noodles

What's awesome was their lamb stew with crispy noodles/sang meen (生面). I figured that since I liked said lamb stew from the last visit and that I'd be letting the sang meen soak in the gravy anyway, this sounded like it made sense and it did. Gotta be the most delicious lamb noodles I've had. For now.

The Hainan Story Chapter One, osmanthus beer

There's an osmanthus lager on their menu and I got it while thinking that it might taste like the King's Garden Ale from Song Fa. It didn't. While the osmanthus flavour was pronounced, I didn't like this as much as I thought I would.

The Hainan Story Chapter One, Jalan Sultan

No comments: