Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Ebi Bar, Cuppage Plaza

Ebi Bar, chao da prawn noodle

Heard about these guys (#B1-21 Cuppage Plaza, 5 Koek Road) and had gotten curious enough to come down and try their take on an upscale prawn noodles. Didn't like how they processed orders. It's a bad combination of a poorly designed digital menu that one had to navigate on mobile and the need for email to even get an order done. 

I've read words like "rich" and "umami" from online publications about their broth. How did these people even get their jobs?

Ebi Bar, shrimp ball noodle

Broth was sweet and crustacean-y but it didn't taste rounded - not exactly a sweetness which I enjoyed. Rich and umami weren't words that came to mind. Didn't finish it. Didn't think much of the noodles also. I'd easily pick Da Shi Jia over a bowl here.

Those tiger prawns were meaty but otherwise not memorable. Preferred the prawn balls which were formed from chunky lumps. Chicken charshu thingys were okay but I don't think these were a selling point.

Ebi Bar, achar jellyfish

Achar was not bad. I liked the nutty quality that they managed to get into the flavour. I prefer it more sour. Also too little jellyfish. Pretty sure they're trying to make this achar sound special with the name because there's too little jellyfish. 

Ebi Bar, ngoh hiang

Ngoh hiang was so so. That's just my opinion. It had a nice crisp skin but my truths is, these can't beat the home made ones that I'm used to from Nonya grandmothers and mother-in-laws. Also, I'm not big on five spice powder.

Ebi Bar, shrimp dumpling mala sauce

These prawn dumplings were a little odd. There were openings on the surface. Like prawn stuffings clad in smooth ripped jeans. Not bad tasting as spicy prawn dumplings went. Those from Abundance were way better.

Ebi Bar, Cuppage Plaza

No comments: