Saturday, May 28, 2022

Xian Ji Porridge, Eng Hoon Street

Xian Ji Porridge, Eng Hoon Street

I've been asked by a few people over more than a few years if I've tried that shop with watercress porridge (#01-72, 57 Eng Hoon Street) at Tiong Bahru. I gathered that they had eaten there and they liked it to some extent. The shop has for some reasons always slipped my mind until recently. Not bad tasting porridge. Didn't understand the watercress which I felt added nothing but vegetables stuck between the teeth.

What I didn't like was the rest of the experience. $9 for mixed pork porridge with dough fritters wasn't cheap. I asked for century eggs for the porridge to which the proprietress acknowledged but I didn't get any at all. No idea how much a bowl typically costed. While I enjoyed it somewhat and hadn't any complains about the ingredients, am probably not coming back. Ah Chiang or Old Shifu, both in the vicinity, were equally enjoyable and less expensive.

Xian Ji Porridge, Eng Hoon Street

No comments: