Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Fruit juice mee siam from Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa

Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa, fruit juice mee siam

In spite of the name Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa (#02-66 Hong Lim Market & Food Centre, Blk 531A Upper Cross Street), this stall is also rather well known for their mee siam. A fruit juice mee siam - unique even as a local dish by local standards. The lady proprietor had suddenly become very loquacious at my asking about what fruits were used. After artfully (somewhat) dodging the question with something about not using tamarind (the traditional ingredient for the tangy/sour element) and something about onions, she proceeded with how they had purchased their crayfish fresh every morning and that quality of their ingredient was of the utmost importance to them which adds to the cost and blah blah blah. I don't think they were keen on sharing their secret

But I liked it. An accurate word to describe the broth would be fruity. It was tangy like most mee siam with just a light warmth from the chilli. But that tangy element was just different. Maybe less sharp and more refreshing. I'm not too sure. Liked it enough that I finished up to the last drop.

2 comments:

Yulia said...

Maybe the fruit juice is belimbing juice? The small, oval, very sour fruit used in Malay and Indonesian cooking.

LiquidShaDow said...

I couldn't tell if they were those. I'm pretty sure it's a mixture. When I googled for belimbing, half the pictures that turned out were starfruits?