Friday, December 20, 2019

Max's Restaurant, Far East Plaza

Max's Restaurant, Far East Plaza

I've never heard of Max's Restaurant (#01-07 Far East Plaza, 14 Scotts Road, tel : +65 6909 8504) until they opened up recently. From what I've read, they've been around since 1945 and are known for their fried chicken.

Max's Restaurant, pinakbet

We ordered their pinakbet because it was the only real vegetable dish on the menu. There was a variety though which included bitter gourd, string beans, carrots, kang kong, eggplant and okra that's stir fried or sautéed in bagoong. Together with some bits of pork and shrimp. No idea which variety of bagoong they used but this was pretty tasty.

Max's Restaurant, fried chicken

Since these guys are "the house that fried chicken built", we had to have their fried chicken. My verdict was that it was not bad at all. I liked that it wasn't battered. The bird has a nice chicken-y flavour which in my opinion, many local fried chicken doesn't and the meat was tender to boot. Those little planks on the side were fried sweet potato.

Max's Restaurant, banana ketchup

The restaurant recommended the banana ketchup and Worcestershire sauce to go with their fried chicken. I mixed them both and added a bit of hot sauce. That banana ketchup had a flavour not very different from preserved sour plum. No banana flavour though.

Max's Restaurant, chicken sisig

I'm generally not big on mayonnaise. Max's rendition of the chicken sisig is done with mayo. From what I could tell, the meat components were chopped bits of their fried chicken and chicken liver. I liked this dish more than I thought. Loved those seared liver bits. Together with the onions and chilli, the sisig came together nicely. This was one to go with steamed rice.

Speaking of which, I should avoid the garlic rice here the next time. Expensive, bland and the flavour is nowhere near Gerry's.

No comments: