Sunday, February 19, 2023

Burger King's Plant-Based Whopper

Burger King's Plant-Based Whopper

I've been curious about Burger King's Plant-Based Whopper for a while now. I think it was available a little more than half a year ago featuring soy based patty from The Vegetarian Butcher which was acquired by Unilever. BK's been careful about the release marketing making sure that reviews mention that it's flame grilled on the same grill as their other meat burgers and that the mayo inside is made with eggs. Fair enough. None of that bothered me because I haven't any restrictions and I just wanted to see how it tasted like.

Burger King's Plant-Based Whopper

This was a double. Looked pretty decent on my tomato and pickle sides. Burger's hefty as BK burgers go. Looks a little less like meat compared to say Impossible. Which would be my only frame of reference for these plant based meat patty thingies since I've not tried other alternatives.

Burger King's Plant-Based Whopper

One can tell it doesn't look like regular meat from scrutiny. The shape's a little too clean and the texture doesn't look it. But it doesn't look bad. Looked better than their Chocolate Whopper in any case.

Burger King's Plant-Based Whopper

I'd ballpark the resemblance to meat at about 75-80%. Which is less meat-like than a properly done Impossible burger patty. By that, I am implying that there are crappy ones too.

Burger King's Plant-Based Whopper

There's a smokiness from these plant base patties but it ultimately revealed itself from the mouthfeel, lack of beefy oil richness and a missing aftertaste. Didn't taste bad all all. As a Whopper, the mayo/vegetables have enough taste/texture to further mask the differences so it didn't feel very different. It's there. Just isn't glaring.

No comments: