Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Da Xi (大喜), Guoco Tower

Da Xi (大喜), Guoco Tower

Couldn't find any info on Da Xi's (B2-33 Guoco Tower, 7 Wallich Street, tel : +65 6231 1590) origins so I'm going to assume that these guys aren't from Taiwan, just Taiwanese themed. Food appeared to be a little sweet as a whole.

Da Xi (大喜), prawn cake mango puree

These are prawn cakes with mango puree. Competently fried with a crunch on the surface and innards of minced prawn and prawn paste. Not bad tasting if I might say so. Reminded me of Thai prawn cakes. Mango puree tasted fresh and not artificially sweetened.

Da Xi (大喜), pork floss cheese egg roll

Got ourselves an egg roll with pork floss and cheese (肉松起司蛋饼!). Not bad tasting as well.

Da Xi (大喜), da xi stir fried noodle

Was for some reason intrigued by the Da Xi stir fried noodle. Noodles were chewier than it looked and that's a good thing if you're wondering because I was half worried that they'd be soggy like they looked. Flavour's savoury sweet with bits of saltiness from the fried anchovies. Also not bad tasting.

Da Xi (大喜), smoked duck guo tie

Smoked duck dumplings (锅贴) -  I know right? Since when have smoked duck been used for these things around here. It's definitely smokey and the texture was very similar to minced pork in pork dumplings. It was also oddly a little sweet. I wouldn't say that I disliked it but I would have much preferred if it was just salty/savoury. Look at that smudge of chilli they gave...what were they even thinking?

Da Xi (大喜), taro milk with grass jelly

That's taro milk with grass jelly. Also sweet. Not unpleasant though. It didn't remind me of taro. Tasted like sweet potato latte.

No comments: