Sunday, March 13, 2022

Chère Claudine...

Claudine, Dempsey

We made this reservation from the last visit with their chou farci in our crosshairs.

Claudine, sourdough

Great tangy aroma from the sourdough which was smelling fresh from the kitchen. Today's textures were more telling with the light chewy tenderness of the inside and a crunchy crisp from the crust. I had seconds with the Ibérico butter.

Claudine, trouble brewing summer ale

Had a glass of Trouble Brewing's Summer Ale to go with the bread while waiting for the orders. One of the nicer brews I've noticed for the weather with an faint underlying sweetness and pleasant hoppy finish. 

Claudine, hokkaido uni pasta

Pretty pricy Hokkaido uni pasta. There seemed to be a few things going on - kombu, smoked egg yolk and the herbs. Something else tangy in there which I couldn't put my finger to. Uni was nice and I also liked how the dill freshened the flavours. Portion was small.

Claudine, sardine toast

Tried their sardine toast. I liked these from the smoky saltiness of the fish and I think that paired with some butteriness from the toast. Delicately countered with dill, onion and aioli that kept it from being monotonous.

Claudine, chou farsi

Here be the chou farci.

Claudine, chou farsi

The menu described a few things and the ingredient which I was surprised I couldn't quite detect were the prunes. I liked the burnt exterior of the cabbage which paired with the tender cooked portions inside. Nice foie gras and great bovine-y sauce/jus. The rest of the ingredients had a lot going on so it was a mixture of textures and flavours. If anyone was wondering, I liked it.

Claudine, pariterole

These are called pariteroles. Claudine's take on profiteroles with pecan pralines. I think they're nice. Texturally different from regular profiteroles probably from the crusty praline with a pleasant nutty flavour from the pecans. I know it's a kinda obvious description but that was what it was.

Claudine, coffee

I remember that their coffee was decent but hadn't the fortitude I generally look for. Still was nice for a bitter brew after the dessert.

Claudine, Harding Road

No comments: