Saturday, March 11, 2023

Mala charshu kombu noodles and duck karaage from Chen's Mapo Tofu

Chen's Mapo Tofu, mala aburi chashu kombu noodles

So Chen's Mapo Tofu has aburi mala charshu. Couldn't help but to compare them to the one from Ch叉r because there aren't any others. At least not that I am aware of.

I like the sweet smokiness in these thin slices of pork belly. Not especially tender considering that they weren't chunky cuts and had a bit of bite to them. No disintegrating fat as well. Like Ch叉r, it was mostly sweet with a light heat that's layered with the flavour of mala spicing. I didn't think it was bad tasting. Nicely done aji tamago with shoyu infusion on the side and I don't know what's up with the kombu noodles because it neither looked nor tasted like kombu. Or are those not made with kombu? 🤔

Chen's Mapo Tofu, duck karaage

We grabbed the duck karaage because we've never had one. Batter wasn't so much like what we know of tori karaage. It's thicker, was suitably crispy and had a nice taste to it. What pleasantly surprised me was how tender the meat was. I might not have known it was duck.

No comments: