Thursday, March 11, 2021

Notes from breakfast at Tong Kee Chicken Rice (東記雞飯)

Tong Kee Chicken Rice (東記雞飯), Tanglin Halt

Came to Tong Kee for...an early meal. The stall opens at 10am. I reached a few minutes before and the proprietor said he needed another 5-10 to get his prep done. So the take away was that they're not a stickler for time.

Tong Kee Chicken Rice (東記雞飯), Commonwealth

Getting there at the opening hour also meant that some things might not be available yet. I was looking out for the livers and boiled eggs. They aren't ready in the early opening hours. So I ended up asking for a regular 鸡尾 plate. The proprietress suggested some char siew and roast pork and I though to myself, why not?

Tong Kee Chicken Rice (東記雞飯), Commonwealth

The roast pork and char siew are generally nothing to write home about. The brown caramel-y gravy that they give on the side made them taste better. 

Tong Kee Chicken Rice (東記雞飯), Commonwealth

Between the brown gravy, chicken rice chilli and dark soya sauce, there's usually not enough rice in a single plate for me to use them all.

pigeon

No comments: