Sunday, August 01, 2021

Tiong Bahru Hainanese Curry Rice (中峇鲁海南咖喱饭), Tiong Bahru Food Centre

Tiong Bahru Hainanese Curry Rice (中峇鲁海南咖喱饭), Tiong Bahru Food Centre

I've never eaten from this stall (#02-78 Tiong Bahru Food Centre, 30 Seng Poh Road) previously as there always seemed to be a queue that was long enough that I didn't care for them. I don't know if it is because of the current dining out restrictions or that I was early today but there wasn't a queue so I decided to try.

Let's navigate this - for a start, their curry was a little bland. A little viscous with some curry flavour but not satisfyingly savoury. Stewed cabbage I asked for consisted of mostly tau kee (dried bean curd sheets) and tung hoon, not much cabbage. Am sure many are excited about the verdict on the pork chop. It's not bad per se - detected a very light flavour from five spice and unexpectedly, vinegar. So it's a little sour as well which wasn't what I had imagined. It was also one of those that was mostly flour and little meat.

Tiong Bahru Hainanese Curry Rice (中峇鲁海南咖喱饭), Tiong Bahru Food Centre

There's a few of these Hainanese styled curry rice in the vicinity. I'd rank all of them above Tiong Bahru Hainanese Curry Rice. From my old favourite defunct Block 38 Curry Rice, to Beo Crescent Curry Rice to Loo's or even Hong Seng and Traditional Hainanese Curry Rice at Redhill. For an overall curry rice experience I'd pick them over this. They definitely have better tasting curry. Notice that the fried egg didn't even have a drizzle of dark soya sauce as well. Little things count.

No comments: