With a name like JustWant Dessert (10, Jalan Abiad 1, Taman Pelangi, 80400 Johor Bahru, tel : +60 12-584 4662), one would typically assume that it's a dessert shop and wouldn't normally think that it'll be the place to come for nasi ayam gepuk. One would have made the correct assumption. But it was their nasi ayam gepuk we came for.
What's special about their nasi ayam gepuk was that it is a pistachio nasi ayam gepuk. Yeap, that nut trend hasn't died yet. It's ordered from their menu as a regular nasi ayam gepuk with an add-on of a tub of their house made pistachio sauce.
While I wouldn't use the word ingenious, I thought it was a good idea that was competently executed. The sauce was nutty and aromatic on its own. With the sambal and gajus sauce, the nuttiness was upped by a notch though the pistachio specific flavour took backstage. Very nicely done. Love the moist tender rice.
That fried tofu on the side was chilled. I don't know if that's how they roll normally but I liked that.
Prawn noodle's no slouch with its sweet and spicy crustacean-y broth. Prawns were fresh and sweet. I could discern the freshness just by peeling them.
Tried their pistachio paste. Good effort, not exactly impressive by my measure and overshadowed by the pistachio sauce from their nasi ayam gepuk.





No comments:
Post a Comment